1. Watermelons are a favorite summer fruit. Full of water and nutrients, watermelon is a great way to stay hydrated and healthy during the hot summer months.
Picking Tip: Look for a heavy watermelon with a deep yellow spot.
2. Cherries, a Michigan favorite are not only a flavorful snack but extremely healthy as well! Cherries are full of antioxidants making them great for fighting chronic illness. They are also known to be beneficial for those suffering from diabetes, gout and arthritis.
Fun Fact: Michigan, a producer of tart cherries, has over 30,000 acres of cherry trees.
3. Peaches, known for its sweet juicy flavor and fuzzy exterior, make a tasty treat during the summer heat. Grab one for a healthy snack or add it to your favorite summer recipe. Not only do they taste delicious but they also are helpful in aiding eye, skin, digestive and brain health.
Try It: Fresh Southern Peach Cobbler
4. Plums are packed with nutrients and can be eaten fresh or dried. They are full of antioxidants and can aid in reducing inflammation. In addition to it's many other beneficial nutrients, plums are known for being a heart healthy snack.
Fun Fact: There are over 140 varieties of plums sold in the US.
5. Strawberries are a favorite summer snack and also full of amazing beneficial nutrients. This juicy summer fruit is packed with antioxidants that improve your heart health as well as eye and hair health. It is also packed with vitamin c to boost collagen production and improve your skin.
Try It: Strawberry Shortcake